Sunday, May 31, 2009

Homemade BBQ Brisket

I apologize for the length of time in between updates. I've been really busy with work and I had an out-of-town (indeed, out-of-country!) visitor for a few days. I'm definitely not complaining about the visitor; I'm just explaining my absence! Well, part of my absence. I can't blame it all on her. ;)

Anyway, yesterday I was at the grocery store surfing for meat as I am wont to do. A nearly 6 pound brisket caught my eye. I thought, "I wonder how dad's rib recipe would be on brisket?" The answer? Fabulous!

You can look at the link above if you want step-by-step on how to make the spice rub and the sauce. I didn't take photos of that.

I really feel like I got a good deal on this meat. Around $10 for almost 6 pounds of brisket? Yay!



There was a lot of fat to trim off this baby. I left some on for flavor but I did trim quite a bit off.



I adore my Canon... Here is the spice rub!



Sprinkle it on the brisket.



Rub it on both sides and all around that bad boy.



Put a rack on a cookie sheet. Then, put the brisket on the rack. You will have already preheated your oven to 250-degrees. Cover the pan and meat with foil and seal tightly. Cook in the oven for 4 hours. No peeking!



About two hours in, start making the sauce. Again, for instructions, see the link for my dad's rib recipe. The only difference is that I sautéed the onions until they were mostly soft and let the sauce simmer for an hour and a half or so. It thickened nicely!



After 4 hours, pull the brisket out of the oven.



You can either broil it or you can grill it. I chose to fire up the grill for the summer season in order to cook this brisket.



We flipped it about 4 times (so, the sauce was cooked on indirect heat a total of two times per side).



Spread that saucy goodness all over that meat!



Carefully remove it to a plate or cutting board to rest for a few minutes.



Doesn't it look glorious?!



Thinly slice it. If you have leftover sauce, you can pour it on.



We served it with caesar salad, potato salad, and King's Hawaiian rolls. It was the best dinner we've had in a long time. Delicious!



This was well worth the 5+ hours of cooking time. Granted, most of that time is inactive time but you still have to be around the house. The meat was moist and falling apart. The sauce is slightly spicy but sooooooo good!

2 comments:

glamhalo said...

oh my guh ..... yum!

~Corey said...

This is making me very hungry!