Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vegetarian Chili



You know you wanna make this... Vegetarian Chili so yummy you'll smack yo mama's ass after eating it! This is what the impromptu family members/guests refused to eat last night (before I even made it no less). Oh well. Snooze, ya lose.

Ingredients:
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
15 oz. 100% pumpkin (pay no attention to the girth of this particular can)
1 onion
3/4 cup bulgur
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic (I used granulated because I didn't have any fresh)
2 tsp. ground cumin
5 1/2 cups water, divided
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 diced zucchini
1 diced bell pepper - whatever color you like
(later you'll see I added 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed)




Put the bulgur into 3 cups of water.



Microwave on high for 15 minutes.



Meanwhile, chop onion and curse Grocery Outlet for subpar onions. Never again.



Heat oil in the pot. While you're waiting, muse about someday getting new pots and pans.



Also, since you have time, take an artsy photo of spices.



The oil is hot now so add the onions to the pot.



Then add the bell pepper.



Aw, it looks so cute in the pot! Cook them for 5 minutes.



After they've cooked for a while, add the spices and cook those for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.



Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot.



Add the tomatoes to the party.



Coax the corn into the pot.



Next, zucchini!!



Following that, add the pumpkin. I measured out the appropriate amount because I only had big cans. I see pumpkin muffins or bread in my near future. Also, yes, I thought pumpkin would be weird in there. The recipe promised you wouldn't taste it. I was skeptical but it's true; you can't taste it! It just adds a nice texture.



Go check on your bulgur. OH CRAP!! Maybe you should do better than me and put it in a larger bowl prior to microwaving it.



I have a feeling that stuff needs more time to soften so although the original recipe advised to put the bulgur in at the end, I'm putting it in now.



Bring the concoction up to a boil then turn down to medium low and let simmer for about 15 minutes or so.



Meanwhile, rinse and drain the black beans.



After 15 minutes, add the black beans to the pot.



Hmmm. This is supposed to be chili, right? Well, there don't seem to be very many beans in that thar chili.



Plus, chili isn't chili without some kidney beans. At least that's my opinion.



So, drain and rinse the kidney beans...



And then add them to the pot.



There. That looks much better. Chili should be full of beans!!



Something is missing. Tabasco!



Now, don't put too much of that Tabasco in since you've got to feed the kids. You can always doctor your own. Oh, hey, we learned an interesting thing in Lynchburg on the Jack Daniel tour. The Tabasco company uses recycled Jack Daniel's whiskey barrels to age the Tabasco! Now you've learned something today!



Bet you wish you could have some of this. It was SO GOOD. Seriously, it defied my expectations! I served it with corn muffins Alex had made for me last night.

No comments: