Sunday, January 13, 2008

Corned Beef and Colcannon



Marvelous! The cut of corned beef wasn't the greatest (it was almost like a flat-point hybrid but not large enough to definitely have both parts of the cut) but the taste was good. The colcannon, though, was amazing. Even my potato-hating middle child loved it and had seconds. Here is the recipe from allrecipes.com:

Diane's Colcannon
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings

"While Colcannon seems to be associated with St. Patrick's Day, I love the combination of potatoes, cabbage, onion and bacon all through the cooler months of Fall and Winter! I attend an annual St. Patty's Day party and this is the dish I'm always asked to bring... and I'm happy to say that the bowl comes home empty every time!"

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 slices bacon
1/2 small head cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble and set aside. In the reserved drippings, saute the cabbage and onion until soft and translucent. Putting a lid on the pan helps the vegetables cook faster.
3. Drain the cooked potatoes, mash with milk and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions, then transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in the melted butter. Serve immediately.


I used a coleslaw mix with green and purple cabbage and carrots. I liked it because it gave the dish a nice color. This was so good I need to make it more than with just corned beef. Wonderful!

2 comments:

Octavia Violet said...

Thanks for inviting me! WOW !! - you have a new recipe for every day!! Most Impressive !

While I have to honestly admit this is more my DH's 'thing' -- it can't hurt to 'look' - I love the look of those colorful mashed potatoes :-) - Happy Cooking !

Mary said...

Yay, you looked!!

This was a project I started at the end of last year; 365 days of food. I think I've missed a couple of days but they were days when I didn't cook and we had take-out. The nice thing about this blog is that it urges me to cook more and rely on fast food less. I figure even if it's not textbook "healthy" it's still better than eating out.