Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chicken Stroganoff, Cheddar Muffin, and Vegetables



I love this chicken stroganoff. It's the second time we've had it and I love it just as much. It's easy peasy, too. Here's the original recipe from cooks.com:

QUICK CHICKEN STROGANOFF

2 1/2 to 3 lbs. thighs & legs
2 tbsp. butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 c. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (4 oz.) drained mushrooms
1 c. sour cream
1 (8 oz.) pkg. noodles

Brown chicken lightly in butter; set to one side. Add garlic and onion; cook until lightly browned and tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour tomato sauce into bowl; stir in sour cream gradually. Pour over the chicken, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Prepare noodles. Garnish chicken stroganoff mixture with heated mushrooms, serve with hot noodles.



I made several changes. First, I use chopped chicken breast instead of thighs and legs. Second, I put the mushrooms in with the tomato sauce and sour cream. I use a whole onion, sliced instead of a miniscule amount minced (after all, nothing says stroganoff to me like onions and mushrooms). I only simmer for about 20 minutes because the chicken is mostly cooked prior to that stage. Lastly, I mix in the cooked pasta (and I use bowtie pasta) to sop up all the liquid in the pan. Yum!!

I made cheddar muffins from the Hillbilly Housewife website. They were rather flavorless so I've got to work on them. They probably need some garlic and maybe a bit more cheese.

No comments: