Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Dinner!

I made dinner at my house this year, as every year. I figure if I have the children then Christmas should be at my house.

I was going to make rolls the night before but ran out of steam. Therefore, we had whole wheat store-bought rolls. No matter, they were tasty.



I roasted some green beans. I got fresh green beans from Trader Joe's. I put them on a baking sheet, drizzled them with olive oil, and sprinkled white pepper and kosher salt on them. Then I roasted them in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. They could have gone a little longer but I love green beans with a snap to them.



These potatoes are so delicious. My dad got the recipe from someone. Essentially, you cut the potatoes into sticks. Lay down a layer in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cut an onion into strips and lay half down onto the layer of potatoes. Sprinkle with garlic salt (or garlic powder), dot with butter, and sprinkle cheese on that layer. The cheese can be any kind, I suppose, but I used Tillamook's mild cheddar. Repeat the layering one more time then cover and put in a 375 degree oven for about an hour. These are very good. So good, in fact, I may make them again very soon!



This sweet potato casserole is one my dad made. He gave me the recipe finally but I have yet to make it myself. It is so good and also very good for breakfast the next morning!




Ham! I was going to get a Honeybaked Ham until I found out how freaking expensive they are. Instead, I got one from Trader Joe's. Personally, it was a little too smoky for my tastes but everyone else loved it. I am fairly picky about that smoke flavor anyway.



The night before Christmas dinner I made a rum cake. Basically, it's a yellow cake mix, vanilla pudding, and 1/2 cup of spiced rum. Then after it has baked you make a glaze with rum, water, and sugar. It's very good but if you don't like rum you wouldn't like this cake for sure. I thought the cake was pretty with the crown of walnuts at the top.

No comments: