Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Polenta with Ragu and Mixed Vegetables



I sauteed a pound of mild Italian sausage removed from their casings in about a tablespoon of olive oil. I added one shallot, diced. After the meat was cooked I added about 2 cloves of minced garlic. Then I added one 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes (undrained), one 15 ounce can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed well), and one 28 ounce can of Trader Joe's Sugo di Pomodoro (see previous post). I mixed that all together and added about a teaspoon each of dried oregano and dried basil. I let it simmer for about 45 minutes while I got the rest of the meal together. I heated up the vegetables. Also, I sliced some polenta (the kind already made and formed in a tube). I browned it in a sauté pan with a bit of olive oil.

The whole family was very happy with this meal. The boys had misgivings about the polenta (they have not liked it in the past) but they decided they liked it quite a bit!

I will definitely make this again. Plus, it was so simple.

No comments: