Monday, October 22, 2007

Farfalle with Italian Sausage and Broccoli



Tonight I cooked pasta.

I put some water on to boil while I cooked the sausages (they're fairly persnickety to cut raw). The water boiled around the time the sausages were done so I put the farfalle in the water to cook while I prepared the sauce.

I used some red wine (Kestrel's Lady in Red) to deglaze the pan. Then I added some minced shallots and minced garlic. I let that cook for a while and then I put in two diced roma tomatoes. After that cooked for a few minutes I added a 28 oz. can of Trader Joe's Sugo di Pomodoro. I added some salt and pepper, some oregano, and a little red pepper flakes. While that all simmered nicely I cut up some broccoli from the vegetable delivery. I added the cut broccoli to the pasta water about 2 minutes before the pasta was done. I drained the pasta and tossed it with the sauce. I served it with some freshly grated Parmagiano Reggiano.

It was delicious!!

As for the wine...it seems a bit bright and tannic for my tastes. It makes my mouth want to pucker and it's a little hard to swallow. This was a gift and I wouldn't buy it again. Too bad, because it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (haha, literally) for Kestral Vintners.

No comments: