Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chicken, Golden Nugget Squash, and Spinach



I'll go from the mundane and okay to the sublime.

Spinach was leaf spinach out of the bag (frozen). I jazzed it up by adding salt, minced onion, curry powder. It was all right but Bill mentioned it'd probably be better with some slivered almonds. He's probably right.

The Golden Nugget squash was roasted in the oven with melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. We took it out of the oven and mashed it with milk, a little butter, and salt. It was good, I thought. The kids thought otherwise. We're just not big squash people. I bought this one because the flavor was reputed to be mild. I was happy that was correct. Also, the squash was not so big so it didn't make a lot. It did fulfill a mashed potato yearning, though.

The chicken was fantastic. I brined it for 30 minutes then rinsed it and patted it dry. After that, I rubbed it with Tom Douglas' Rub With Love, chicken version:





I let them sit while the olive oil heated up in the pan. I put them in, skin side down, to sear for 5 minutes. Then I flipped them and let them sear on the other side for 3 minutes. After that, I slipped the pan into a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. The chicken was moist and delicious! Definitely a victory for that!

I'm comfortably full and happy.

No comments: